For success in practice, Mosby's Fundamentals of Therapeutic Massage, 5th Edition provides you with a solid foundation in the fundamentals of massage therapy. Expert author Sandy Fritz shares her wealth of clinical expertise, keeping a consistent focus on clinical reasoning with an increased emphasis on competency-based outcomes. In addition to teaching you how to skillfully apply massage techniques, this text also covers important practice management topics such as ethics, legal issues, sanitation, hygiene, business practices, and professional development. Two DVDs bound in the book provide over three hours of video on techniques, body mechanics, case studies, and more, plus anatomy and physiology animations. Log in to the companion Evolve website for interactive games and learning exercises.
New to this edition
* Completely updated content keeps you current with the latest information needed to pass your exams and succeed in practice.
* NEW! Foot in the Door feature throughout the text outlines the professional traits valued by prospective employers.
* Available as a Pageburst digital textbook with additional interactive learning tools and electronic assets. Sold separately.
By Sandy Fritz, BS, MS, NCTMB, Director, Health Enrichment Center, School of Therapeutic Massage, Lapeer, Michigan, USA
Table of Contents:
1. Therapeutic Massage as a Profession
2. Ethics, Professionalism and Legal Issues
3. Business Considerations for a Career in Therapeutic Massage
4. Massage and Medical Terminology for Professional Record Keeping
5. Research Literacy and Evidence-Based Practice
6. Indications and Contraindications for Therapeutic Massage
7. Hygiene, Sanitation, and Safety
8. Body Mechanics
9. Preparation for Massage: Equipment, Professional Environment, Positioning and Draping
10. Massage Manipulations and Techniques
11. Assessment Procedures for Developing a Care/Treatment Plan
12. Complementary Bodywork Systems
13. Massage Career Tracks and Practice Settings
14. Adaptive Massage
15. Wellness Education
16. Case Studies
Appendix A. Indications and Contraindications to Massage
Appendix B. Skin Pathology: Common Skin Disorders
Appendix C. Basic Pharmacology for the Massage Therapist